Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pain and Pleasure

Talking to Danielle about the idea of a duality between pleasure and pain makes me wonder what it is about those two things that really intrigue me.  Even if I don't know I think these two things completely relate to most of the dreams and nightmares I've kept a log of.  it is really rare to have a completely happy dream and there is always some conflict throughout even if it is a good dream. Maybe what I'm dealing with is finding a focus for the general topics that I've been concentrating on.  Maybe dreams are a kind of personal pleasure and pain we conflict on ourselves or maybe it is pushed on us. I don't know, I need to consider this more.

In terms of the Jellyfish dress specifically I know that what I've produced so far is pretty fluffy, I'd say this as much as anyone else.  I think it needed to start in that place for me and after talking with Danielle I agree with her that maybe now it's about finding the darker side to this.  To quote her, "What makes jellyfish so fucking scary?" (yet still beautiful!)  I find this question is reall
y similar to my weird fascination with huge marine and other animals.  I like lo
oking up video clips of anacondas, giant squid and jellyfish, sharks, crocodiles fighting with leopards, 
haha it's kind of a weird thing I find really interesting but extremely terrifying at the same time.  I guess it's like scary movies for some people that like being frightened. 

A mass of Nomura Jellyfish in a harbor Japan - gross yet fascinating


A diver and a giant jellyfish!

Anyway, for the Jellyfish dress I really want it to show constriction and suffocation.  To me, these two things are closely related. I want this piece and my others to not only be a spectacle but to be compelling as well.  I guess I need to think more about what draws us to such interesting dualities such as mixing pleasure with pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment