Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Jellyfish!

I fell asleep in the middle of my last blog :).

So to continue on, a lot of what I was doing in my studio last week was researching fiber optics and electroluminescent wire online.  I am really in
terested in incorporating materials that will enhance the visual aesthetic of each look.  For the jellyfish dress I was really interested in the el wire especially because of the way it would read as jellyfish.  (based off images such as this one).

 I remember they were beautifully lavender, sea green, translucent and glowing.  In any case it took me a really long time to figure out which site to order from and what to get.  The wire comes in different gauges and colors but the hard part was figuring out the proper inverter and battery pack needed to get it to work.  I also got confused in some of the tutorials I found online because I definitely am not a technology person.  I finally ended up ordering some on Monday and I hope I got the proper tools to make it work!
In terms of fiber optics I'm interested in using those as well.  I came across this because I had a stroke of random thrift luck at Kiwanis last week. I went to look for fabric and clothing for my project as I have been doing and came across this lavender dress.  It was a size 4 so I thought the top may fit my roommate, plus there was a lot of fabric that I could use in my first look.  I took it home and my roommate tried it on.  It fit pretty well in the top and so I went to take out the lining and flipped it inside out.  As I looked between the lining and the bodice fabric I realized that the bodice of the dress is wired for fiber optics! On the tag it says "please remove battery attachment before cleaning".  Anyway I was really excited and was looking into ways to use fiber optics.  After talking to a few people who know more about these things than I do, I decided maybe to just order something cheap offline like a fiber optic wand and see if I can take it apart. I hope that I can get these things to work!
Aside from figuring out these other materials I want to use, I decided to create renderings of the looks I want to create.  I think so much like a costume design student now I think it will be helpful for me to have a rendering to build from.  I have many rough sketches of possible looks but it will be really beneficial to actually be able to reference them and have them once the garment is complete.  Here's the one for my jellyfish dress. This garment will convey the idea of feeling trapped by the jelly fish.  I think I want it to be more covered with the forms than it is because it doesn't have the right feeling.  Building these looks will be a really experimental process and I'm sure my ideas will change from my renderings to my actual wearables.
I bought bubble wrap this past weekend on a suggestion from one of my Costume Design professors to help fill out the jellyfish forms.  So far I'm liking it way they're looking and so now I'm in the process of mass producing jellyfish! Here are some pictures form my studio.


No comments:

Post a Comment