Monday, November 30, 2009

Work of late

Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision.
Salvador Dali

I loved this quote by Dali.  I think it really connects to a lot of what I see in my project and in the direction it's heading.  Mainly what I've been thinking lately about my project is that it is going in a direction that is obviously still based in the surreal but based less on specific dreams and more about a feeling taking over the body.  I am still playing with my own personal dreams but I don't really want the garments to just be the dream imagery of my dreams.  I am interested in how a wearable can be built to manipulate how the body functions and what the material of the wearable means to the body and person.  

I've been feeling in a bit of a rut lately after I finished the card dress especially.  I suppose the daze of many all-nighters working on this as well as my other class work, put me in a bad mindset to work.  Anyway, I think the card dress, that I submitted to the All Student Show, may also be included in my IP because it is in the same track as other sketches I've been working on lately.  Not only is the image of the cards visually surreal, but I'm interested in the idea of a woman being the personified "Luck", such an intangible thing.  I'm excited to try it on an actual model, as it's built to be worn underneath the cards, to see how it moves and works.  I think that it will be hard to move in, which brings up the idea of the woman being placed on a pedestal as well as providing a shield because of the way the cards flow together like armor or scales.

These sketches are some ideas that I've been playing with including a fiber optic headdress, structured shapes, constrictive sleeves/parts of the wearable, balloons, etc.  I still am in progress with my "jellyfish" dress but hope to have that primarily done for reviews. 




It lights up!

I also have read more about Salvador Dali, whose surrealist imagery particularly in his paintings, has inspired my interest in the subject. I will write more about my research soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment